August 4, 2019
This is but a small piece of the grand interior staircase of the DeWitt County courthouse in Cuero, Texas. Cuero is the county seat of DeWitt county. The current courthouse is the 4th to stand on this site. The first was a log cabin that was completed in 1847. The current is a three-story sandstone structure with a six-story clock tower. The building, as are so many in Texas, is Richarsonian Romanesque. In 1956 the interior was modernized and central air-condition and automatic elevators were installed. DeWitt county was created in 1846 out of parts of Gonzales, Goliad, Victoria counties. The area approximates that of the original 1825 Mexican grant to Empresario Green DeWitt. The preceding is an excerpt from Texascourthouses.com.
“After about the first Millennium, Italy was the cradle of Romanesque architecture, which spread throughout Europe.” ~ Harry Seidler